03 9481 0600

544 Brunswick Street North Fitzroy VIC 3068

Dizziness and Vertigo

Dizziness is something that can happen to anyone, and usually passes within a few seconds. One type of dizziness is vertigo; a spinning or rotatory sensation…

The dizziness caused by vertigo is usually linked to issues with the inner ear, and the large majority of patients who suffer vertigo due to inner ear complications will recover over time without the need for treatment. If you suffer from persistent recurrence of vertigo, it is important to seek the guidance of a qualified medical practitioner such as your GP to find the cause or arrange a referral.

What are the symptoms of vertigo?

Many different factors can cause vertigo by afflicting the inner ear and causing damage. A good way to distinguish this kind of dizziness is by how long it actually lasts:

  • Short duration of a few seconds to minutes: This is the most common type of vertigo, also known as ‘benign paroxysmal positional vertigo’. It comes on very suddenly and lasts for just a few seconds or minutes.
  • Medium duration of half-hour to several hours: This kind of vertigo is much rarer, and is commonly due to a condition called meniere’s disease or endolymphatic hydrops, which results in longer episodes of severe vertigo accompanied by hearing loss and tinnitus.
  • Long duration of days to weeks: Those who suffer from longer durations of vertigo are most likely to be suffering from an infection of the inner ear or inflammation of the balance nerve.

How do you treat vertigo?

Treatment of vertigo is generally symptomatic, which means we target the symptoms without putting too much regard into the cause of the vertigo; as often the cause clears up on its own. If medical treatment of the symptoms proves ineffective, we may have to utilise surgical procedures to relieve the vertigo.

To find out more about dizziness and vertigo, or to book a consultation at our Melbourne medical clinic, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.